Today’s image is from Deacon Stephen. From Stephen: “It is a Bonsai tree looking up to the morning sun through an approximately 20 year old Japanese maple planted as if growing out and over a rock. The idea of Bonsai is to realistically create the sense of nature in miniature. These trees endure much as we do the ups and downs of life and nature as they live their lives in the outdoors and in a confined place to see and feel the world pass by.”
1. Close your eyes, breathe, clear your mind, and ask God to enter into this time of prayer with you and to speak to you through the image.
2. Open your eyes and look at the image. Let your eyes pause and focus on the part of the image that you are first drawn to. Gaze upon just that part of the image for a minute or two. Is there an emotion or word that speaks to you? Are there questions that come to mind? Then close your eyes, still seeing that part of the image in your mind.
3. Open your eyes and now look upon the whole image. Is there an emotion or word that speaks to you? Are there questions that come to mind?
4. Close your eyes again and rest in God as long as you need to.
5. Open your eyes. While looking upon the image, respond to God. Pray through the words, images, emotions, questions, and thoughts that are now on your heart. Continue to look upon the image as you pray.
6. Close your eyes and rest your eyes briefly.
7. Open your eyes and gaze again upon the image as you finish your prayer time. Reflect upon this prayer experience. Consider how you’ll take this into your life. You may choose to journal about your experience